Friday, June 12, 2009

E3 Thoughts Part 1: Sony

I was going to start this blog during E3 but I had other commitments at the time (such as traveling and having a life) so I decided to wait until I got back where by now every half wit that thinks their opinion matters has it expressed on the Internet in one form or another. So here I am voicing my opinions, sure I know they don't really matter but I'm not exactly being paid for this so I don't particularly care.

During this first part I want to talk about Sony's performance at E3 and will deliberately leave the PSP-Go out of it because that deserves its own entry.

Sony I felt had a great press conference, and despite I couldn't care less about Grand Turismo 5 or God of War III, I know alot of people do and it will sell lots of units. Lets start with the bad because that's the most fun.

  • Yes yes Sony we know the PS2 is still alive but honestly it's on life support. Xbox 360 hit in 2005 while the Wii and PS3 hit in 2006! We are approaching 4 years since this generation started and despite the PS2 still has its place with the casuals that have yet to buy a Wii its not relevant to the types that watch your press conference.
  • Your conference felt all over the place with no real structure, sure you had content but you seriously need an overhaul in the presentation/PR end and has been that way since we first heard the famous "Giant Enemy Crab".
  • Sony you really need to stop with the "Me too" stuff. I see how people are bragging about how accurate your new motion sensing wand is, but honestly who is going to buy 4 of those PLUS the camera? Oh and for that accurate motion sensing stuff? Its already out.. its called WiiMotion Plus so stop trying to come off as innovative when everyone knows your just playing catch up
  • Sony still didn't drop the price, more on that in a future post ;)
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crank in Time sort of felt like it got lost in the shuffle.

With that being said I must say that Sony delivered where it all really counts... the exclusive content. Sure everyone knows Modern Warfare 2 is appearing on the system but the exclusive content was what made Sony in my view a real winner this year.
  • Jak & Daxter, LittleBigPlanet & Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker make much needed additions into the PSP's kind of dry library but I still don't believe Sony really get handheld gaming which is a shame because it seems even Apple are starting to get it now, more on PSP later.
  • Uncharted 2 continues to wow me. Now I own and am playing Prototype, Uncharted 2 may be the game I am looking forward to above all others this year (Bioshock 2 comes close). With multiplayer components being revealed to us earlier in the year, Uncharted 2 looks like it could be Sony's big release this year.
  • MAG looks like its going to be the thing to finally put Playstation Network on the map. So far we have yet to see the initially promised 256 player mode but the 64 demo displayed a great sneak preview of what's to come.
  • Agent, possibly the big new thing from Rockstar, The Last Guardian from Team Ico as well as Final Fantasy XIV declared PS3 exclusives was a big notch in Sony's belt after Final Fantasy XIII and Grand Theft Auto IV were multiplatform while Metal Gear Solid Rising heading that way too gave people the impression 3rd parties were bailing on Sony. These announcements were certainly not the case. FFXIV will no doubt be a system seller and could make PSN the place to be online
All in all despite a few nagging issues and the PSP Go, Sony had a great press conference and have the best line up coming. Now all they need is an affordable console.

No comments:

Post a Comment